- Priests: did not seek Godís counsel
- Scribes & Lawyers: did not know God
- Shepherds: rebelled against God
- Prophets: Prophesied by Baal and pursued things not profitable
A Nation Into Apostasy
- They just stopped seeking God (Jeremiah 2:8)
- God does not abandon us, we abandon Him (Jeremiah 2:31)
- The Nation refuses to repent of their sins or even acknowledge that
they have sin (Jeremiah 2:35)
Results When a
Nation Stops Seeking God
- When a nation stops seeking God, that nation automatically reverts to
idolatry and harlotry (Jeremiah 3:6-9)
- When a nation reverts to this and refuses to repent, God divorces
Himself from that nation and enters into judgment with that nation.
(Jeremiah 2:35, 3:6-9)
- As a result that nation is stripped of its authority as a nation
- Because God has divorced himself from that nation, they no longer have
His protection and that nation comes under Godís judgment. This means that
nation will fall to nations mightier then she is. (Jeremiah 5:19)
- Life for the people of such a nation becomes bitter. (Jeremiah 2:19)
As a wife, Israel Treacherously departed from her lover: God. (Jeremiah
Brings a Nation
Under Godís Judgment
- Forsaking His Moral laws. (Jeremiah 6:19)
- Not obeying His voice.
- Not walking in His ways.
- Walking in the stubbornness of oneís own heart.
- Committing idolatry: Putting self and everything else first before God
and His will and worshiping other godís. (Jeremiah 9:12-16)
Nation Can Be Restored
if it Repents
- No matter how far a person goes away from God, if that person or
nation repents and turns back to God, He will forgive and receive them.
(Jeremiah 3:6-12, 7:1-7)
What Is Required for a
Nation and Individual
to Stay True to God
- First, that nation and individual must seek Godís counsel in all
things and walk in obedience to Him. (Isaiah 30:1)
- Two, that nation and individual must cleanse itself of all idols, any
false god or thing which removes its focus and dependence on God.
For the Church to Have a
Successful Impact on its Nation
- First, the Church must cleanse itself of all idols. (Jeremiah 4:1)
- Second, they must do justice to each other within its ranks. (Jeremiah
for a Nation and Individual
to Keep Itself Clean
From Idols and All Evil
- The only way to drive out evil and evil forces against a nation and
oneís life is to spend daily time seeking Jesus. (Jeremiah 4:6)
- The less time you spend seeking Jesus, the greater the powers of
darkness will be in your life. The more time you spend with Jesus, the
less hold the powers of darkness will have in your life.
- The powers of darkness are constantly and continually encroaching upon
us. Only daily time with Jesus will keep these powers at bay.
- When we rebel against God, Satan and evil men are free to do to us
whatever they want and we cannot stop them. (Jeremiah 4:10-18, James
- If God can find any righteous men in a nation who are seeking Him and
the truth, He will pardon that nation, He will not judge her. (Jeremiah
- Godís eyes are for the truth. (Jeremiah 5:3)
Evidence of a Nation
Being Beyond Redemption
and Under Godís Judgment
- That nation feels no pain despite Godís reprovements and refuses to
repent and correct itself despite Godís reprovements. (Jeremiah 5:3)
- Second, it makes its face like flint and refuses to return to God.
Suggested Further Reading: