Advanced Home Page
Sections & Chapters
Certificate of Completion
1 Corinthians 9:11
"If we sowed spiritual things in you, is it
too much if we should reap material things from you?"
To Effective Ministry
Bibliography & Notes
ejpivgeio" earthly, of the earth, not of
heaven. adj. (ejpiv upon,
on & gh' earth,
world. 2/153, 78). James 3:15. 2/155.
yucikhv motivated and controlled through the soul.
nom. sing. fem. 1 Corinthians 2:14. yucikov",
yuvcw. 2/442, 443.
daimoniwvdh" motivation & controlled
through demons; demonic, devilish. adj. James 3:15. daivmwn.
- Davidson, Benjamin. The Analytical Hebrew and Chaldee
Lexicon. Grand Rapids: Zondervan Publishing House, 1850.
- Mouton, Harold K. The Analytical Greek Lexicon Revised.
Grand Rapids: Zondervan Publishing House, 1978.
- Wigram. The New Englishman’s Hebrew Concordance.
Peabody: Hendrickson Publishers; 1984 by Jay P. Green, Sr.
- Wigram. The New Englishman’s Greek Concordance and Lexicon.
Peabody: Hendrickson Publishers; 1982 by Jay P. Green, Sr.
- Young, Robert. Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible.
Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1970.
- Brenton, Sir Lancelot C.L. The Septuagint With Apocrypha: Greek
and English. Peabody: Hendrickson Publishers, 1851.
- Lindsey, Hal. The Late Great Planet Earth. Grand Rapids:
- Kerr, Hugh Thompson Jr. A Compend of Luther's Theology.
Philadelphia: The Westminister Press, 1943.
- Vine, W. E. An Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words.
Old Tapan: Revell, 1960.
- Cairns, David. The Image of God In Man. London: Collins
Clear Type Press, 1973.
- Crabb, Lawrance J. Jr. Effective Biblical Counseling.
Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1977.
- Thiessen, Henry C. Lecture in Systematic Theology. Grand
Rapids: Eerdmans, 1949.
- Schaeffer, Francis A. Escape From Reason. Downers Grove:
- Schaeffer, Francis A. He is There and He is Not Silent.
Wheaton: Tyndale, 1972.
- Schaeffer, Francis A. The God Who is There (Downers Grove:
InterVarsity, 1968), p. 125.
- Schaeffer, Francis A. True Spirituality (Wheaton: Tyndale,
1971), p. 134.
- Schaeffer, Francis A. The Complete Works of Francis A. Schaeffer A
Christian View of the West Volume 5. Westchester: Crossway Books,
- White, Lynn Jr. Machina Ex Deo. Cambridge: MIT, 1968.
- Hill, Harold. How to Live Like a King's Kid. Plainfield:
Logos, International, 1974.
- Bright, Bill. The Holy Spirit. San Bernardino: Campus
Crusade for Christ, 1980.
- Millen, S.I. None of These Diseases. Old Tappan: Fleming
H. Revell, 1963.
- Farah, Dr. Charles Jr. From
Plainfield: Logos, 1980.
- 2 Corinthians 13:14, Matthew 3:13-17, John 14:26.
- John 4, 6:63.
- Mark 5:1-20, John 6:63.
- Mark 3:13-19, John 6:63.
- Mark 7:31-37, John 6:63.
- 2 Corinthians 8:9.
- Matthew 5:27-28.
- Ephesians 5:25-27.
- Ephesians 1:1, 6:18; Jude 1, 20; 1 Corinthians 14:14.
The prayer language of tongues is not to be confused with the ministry
gift of tongues with interpretation. The ministry gift of tongues with
interpretation is a body ministry gift and is only available to the
believer when the Holy Spirit chooses according to His will and purpose to
manifest this gift in the body through the individual for that moment. The
Apostle Paul states about the nine manifestations of the Spirit in 1
Corinthians 12, "But to each one is given the manifestation of the
Spirit for the common good." (1 Corinthians 12:7). And in verse 11, "But
one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one
individually just as He will." The manifestation of the body ministry
gift of tongues with interpretation is not a permanent gift to be freely
exercised by the individual, but is a body ministry gift which any
believer has the potential to exercise, but only at the Holy Spirit's
discretion for the moment and only for and during that moment. After that
moment the ministry gift of tongues can no longer be manifested through
that individual until the Holy Spirit again chooses to manifest it through
that individual when it is needed. (See 1 Corinthians 12:27-31). this is not so,
though, with the prayer language of tongues. this is a manifestation of
the Spirit which accompanies the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and can be
exercised by the individual believer at will at any time with
interpretation for his own edification, and wisdom needed to know how to
minister in any one given situation. It is not a ministering gift to the
body directly, though its results in the individual will certainly
eventually lead to the edification of the body, but not in a direct sense
as in the ministry gift of tongues with interpretation as a body ministry
gift. The prayer language is for the individual's, who is using it,
edification, and can be exercised at will; whereas the ministry gift of
tongues with interpretation is for the body as a whole's edification and
can only be exercised by the individual as the Holy Spirit wills for the
moment. I myself have a prayer language that I exercise continually in
prayer for myself and others, but I have only seen the ministry gift of
tongues with interpretation, a definite distinct language from my prayer
language, manifested only a few times as the Spirit willed for the
edification of others outside of myself in the eighteen years I have been
a Christian. See Sections 4 and 5 for further discussion of manifesting
spiritual gifts, and Harold Hills book, How to Live Like a King's
- Ephesians 2:13-16, Romans 10:9-10, Revelation 3:20, 1 John 5:11-12.
- Hebrews 4:12, John 6:63.
- Isaiah 8:30, Revelation 22:18-19, Matthew 24:35.
- 1 John 4:1-3, John 8:47.
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17, 4:1-4; Hebrews 4:12, 5:11-14; Matthew 15:1-9; 2 Corinthians 11:14.
- Matthew 24:35, Isaiah 8:20, Matthew 15:1-9.
- Genesis 2:15, Luke 3:11, 6:31; Romans 8:18-21.
- See Section 7 titled, "Interrelatedness and Psychology of Body
- Ezekiel 34:2-6.
- John 5:39-40, 1 Corinthians 2:3-5, John 6:63, 2 Corinthians 3:5-8.
- 1 Corinthians 14:21, Isaiah 54:1, Gal 4:27.
- Isaiah 53.
- James 5:14-15, Hebrews 6:18, Titus 1:2.
- 1 Corinthians 9:27 should be noted in relation to this also.
- Macnutt, Francis. Healing. New York: Bantam Books, 1977.
Section 2 Chapters